At our September meeting, the Community Service Committee will be collecting cash donations to benefit HEART (Humane Education Advocates Reaching Teachers), and we will be collecting school supplies to benefit Chicago Public School students.
Here is some more information about the two organizations:
HEART’s mission is to foster compassion and respect for people, animals and the environment by educating youth and teachers in humane education. HEART is dedicated to developing youth into caring and responsible citizens. Our integrated character and humane education curriculum includes lesson plans covering animal welfare, social justice, and environmental protection. Through in-classroom instruction and service learning programs students learn respect, responsibility and empathy toward all living beings and the natural world.
- Create better students, compassionate citizens and contributors to the greater community
- Foster a sense of responsibility for children to act upon their personal beliefs
- Cultivate empathy for animals, and as a result, decrease animal abuse in our society
- Encourage students to strive for a sustainable society while protecting natural resources and the environment
- Offer an effective way to reduce and prevent violence in school and at home
Chicago Public Schools is seeking donations of school supplies to support the 2015 Back to School Campaign. School begins for all CPS students on September 8, and we want it to be the first day to a great year. Sadly, though, many children will arrive on the first day without the supplies they need, especially those in temporary living situations.
Here is a general list of school supplies that are needed:
Assignment notebook, Calculator, Colored pencils, Crayons, Dictionary, folders, Glue sticks, Kleenex, paper towels, Large crayons, Large pencils, Notebooks, Pencils, Pencil-top erasers, Pocket folders, Rulers, Scissors, Sketchpads, Spiral notebooks, Supply boxes, Washable markers, Watercolor paint, Wide-ruled notebook paper
Please contact Lucy Robbins at firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Swanson at email@example.com with any questions