Our Practice Services department has an excellent opportunity for a Senior Legal Researcher to provide virtual support from any state we have an office. This is an exempt position that reports to the Legal Research Services Manager. The Senior Legal Researcher provides support in a traditional and virtual environment along with Legal Research Services staff in other Firm locations. Primary responsibilities include providing reference and research services to internal attorneys and staff, while also assisting the Legal Research Services Manager with team mentoring and Legal Research Services projects as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(other duties may be requested and assigned)
Reference and Research
- Provide both quick reference and in-depth research services using a variety of legal and non-legal resources, determining the appropriate resource to use based on time, cost and user need.
- Conduct in-depth reference interviews with attorneys in order to clarify the subject, scope and purpose of the request.
- Summarize and customize research results in order to meet the specific requirements of the requestor, and report same in centralized research tracking system.
- Utilize electronic and print resources to support practice groups across the Firm, with a projected focus on all aspects of litigation, bankruptcy, case law research, legislative histories, and statutory and regulatory research and tracking.
- Occasionally assist with competitive intelligence projects by conducting industry and business research and compiling data.
- Assist the Legal Research Services Manager with the development, execution, and team training related to internal and external team projects and policies.
- Provide training assistance in use of legal content collection and commercial databases.
- Assist departmental Training Coordinator in preparing training classes and associated materials for groups and individuals with differing needs and technological skill levels, potentially focused on training for litigation and bankruptcy practitioners.
- Assist summer associates and provide early training in print and online research.
- Assist Legal Research Services Manager in creating research and bibliographical tools (collateral, research guides, checklists, etc.) on legal and business topics.
- Act as liaison to specific practice groups to determine research needs and develop topical research expertise.
- Participate in development of intranet resources, including the use of the LibGuides platform.
- Advising Legal Research Services Manager on content use patterns, practice group needs, and potential marketing opportunities for the team’s services.
- Keep up to date on changes and developments in information resources and develop knowledge of unique search strategies for each.
- Test new services and products for possible addition to collection.
- Communicate effectively with publishers and other information providers to advance the interests of the Firm.
- Share with other staff any comments or feedback received from Legal Research Services patrons.
- Recognize the value of professional networking and actively participate in professional associations and online communities.
- Advanced degree in Library Science (MLIS or equivalent) and/or J.D. required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of related experience conducting in-depth legal research, including general litigation experience (case law, expert witness research, etc.), or other comparable experience required. Demonstrated interest or experience with a specialized practice area preferred, with an added emphasis on Tax or Securities. Law Firm experience preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Demonstrated proficiency with PowerPoint and Access or other database applications desirable. Strong Internet research skills. Demonstrated ability to use legal and financial research systems. Proven aptitude to learn new software applications and emerging technologies.
- Strong analytical and communication skills both oral and written. Strong project management skills. Excellent organizational and planning skills with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines. A tolerance for uncertainty and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- A strong client service approach and team orientation. Demonstrate good judgment, tact, and flexibility under pressure in a mixed-matrix environment with many stakeholders and potentially competing priorities. Outstanding creativity; flexibility and persistence; motivation and energy with the ability to work with little supervision and collaborate with other members of the team.
- Familiar with the assigned practice groups, industries, and/or geographies.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit their resume to email@example.com. Please remember to include the job title and office location in the subject or body of your email.
For more information:
Baker & Hostetler LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.