This position can be located in our Los Angeles (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PT), Chicago (11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. CT), Washington, DC (12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET) or New York (12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET) office.
The Research Manager works collaboratively to foster a team-focused, global research team. In the spirit of the firm’s Service Excellence Initiative, the Research Manager serves as mentor to all Research Team members, assisting in more complex research tasks, helping to understand legal topics and encouraging participation in professional and legal educational opportunities. The Research Manager will oversee and handle more involved or time-sensitive research requests, as well as manage the team for specific projects. The Research Manager will directly supervise and evaluate assigned research staff, while implementing standards and best practices of firmwide Library & Research Services.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the Research Team; consulting on requests that are more complex; mentoring team members for growth and development of research skills, legal and other topical knowledge.
- Supervise, train and evaluate direct reports
- Provide extensive legal, business, medical, and general research and analysis assistance to Library & Research Services users when needed in a team-styled environment.
- Conduct orientations and training for attorneys, paralegals, and other firm staff; participate in planning and presentation of educational sessions; provide quick ‘on the spot’ training sessions as needed; participate in planning and presentation of educational sessions to Team Members.
- Assist in the preparation of instructional and marketing materials, including research guides and competitive intelligence dossiers
- Participate in collection development including evaluation of new databases, websites and print material
- Contributes to the firm’s Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a ‘can do’ attitude to the internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
- Participate in professional associations and attend meetings and conferences to remain current on sources of information, trends in information delivery and best practices.
- Weekend coverage is required as part of team rotation.
- Work on any special projects or any other duties as assigned by the Director of Research Services or the Firmwide Director of Library & Research Services
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
- MLS from an ALA accredited university
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a law library, concentrating on research services
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership experience
- Expertise with both print and online legal research platforms, including Westlaw, LexisNexis, Bloomberg Law, and CCH Cheetah
- Strong technical skills, including familiarity with SharePoint, MS Office, social media, and other related technology tools
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
- Able to quickly learn new technologies and then teach others
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.