The Assistant Librarian performs professional, digital, and library services for the Indianapolis Satellite branch and provides support for the South Bend Satellite branch occasionally upon request. The incumbent performs administrative duties in the absence of the supervising librarian. The incumbent also:
- Maintains and assists with digital services and archiving for the location (including the library website).
- Makes recommendations regarding website content, especially library materials and outreach. Develop information access aids such as indices, research guides, and online tutorials.
- Assists the Satellite librarian in completing a variety of library projects, including loose-leaf filing.
- Assists with research services for judges, chambers staff, court personnel, and other users of the library. Utilizes both print and electronic sources to locate and identify information, compile legislative histories, conduct literature searches, and provide other specialized research support.
- Assists with collection development and resource selections for satellite library location. Assist with evaluating, reviewing, selecting, and deselecting resource materials in conjunction with weeding projects.
- Assistance with opening and closing the library and circulation and delivery of research materials to chambers, as requested by Satellite librarians.
- M.L.S. Degree or equivalent from ALA-accredited library school
- Minimum of one year of librarian experience that provided an opportunity to acquire a thorough knowledge of the basic concepts, principles, policies, practices, and theories of librarianship.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and strong customer service orientation.
- Knowledge of library databases and software applications, including website development.
- Knowledge of library records management.
- J.D. or combination of education and law library reference and research experience.
- Ability to telework when necessary and work an 8-hour day between 8:30-5:00 p.m. (Mon.-Fri.).
- Knowledge of the general concepts, principles, and practices of law librarianship.
- Experience/skills in searching online legal and non-legal databases.
- Experience with an Integrated Library System (SIRSI preferred) and Microsoft Office 365/SharePoint.
Please forward resume with cover letter and resume electronically to:
Heidi Frostestad Kuehl, Circuit Librarian
William J. Campbell Library of the U.S. Courts
219 South Dearborn Street – Room 1637
Chicago, Illinois 60604
Closing Date: Resumes received on or before October 22, 2021 will receive full consideration.
However, resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.