The Harvard Law School Library (HLSL) aims to support the varied research needs of the Law School faculty and students through traditional and leading-edge services. Within the Faculty Services team, our librarians provide both basic and complex research in law and law-adjacent disciplines for our faculty partners. In addition, our librarians work with faculty research assistants to help craft research plans and strategy in support of faculty work. The Faculty Services team provides document delivery, advice on the publication process, maintains the Faculty Publication database, supports the Faculty Book Talk Series, and oversees the use of journal submission software. All members of the Faculty Services team also participate in general reference-related activities, including research consultations with students, participating in our reference desk rotation, and general selection of library materials. Librarians are expected to actively participate in library, law school, university, and relevant professional organization committees.
As the Faculty Research Librarian you will:
- Perform extensive, in-depth, expert legal, non-legal and bibliographic research for law faculty
- Consult with faculty to determine their needs; design research projects to satisfy those needs and implement projects efficiently
- Work collaboratively on the full gamut of faculty research services
- Participate in general reference services, including desk hours, research consultations, collection development, and developing research guides and presentations
- Librarians in the Research Services department may teach in first year and upper-level research classes
- ABA accredited JD or equivalent foreign degree or
- Master’s Degree in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Minimum 1 year experience conducting legal research in academic, court, or law firm setting
Additional Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for people who have:
- Comfort conducting complex research in a wide variety of platforms
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a fast-paced environment
We regret that Harvard Law School is unable to provide visa sponsorship for staff positions.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Be a part of excellence and leadership in legal education and scholarship at Harvard Law School. We are a community of talented people from diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives, dedicated to advancing the cause of justice all over the world. We value our differences and our diversity as a source of strength. We are committed to developing and inspiring our students and our workforce. Whoever you are, whatever you do, however you do it, Harvard Law School is a place where you can thrive.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.