Access Services Assistant – Evenings and Weekends
Under the supervision of the Head of Access Services and following departmental guidelines, performs a broad range of library tasks as part of the D’Angelo Law Library Access Services department, including the maintenance of well-ordered bookstacks and other print collections. The Assistant has primary responsibility for staffing the Circulation Desk during weekday evenings and one weekend day during the academic year. During the summer quarter and interim breaks, the Assistant participates in a rotating schedule for Circulation Desk coverage Monday-Friday. Please note that for the next academic year, the schedule for this position may change temporarily to meet the needs of the D’Angelo Law Library.
- Provide exceptional patron service during regular shifts at the circulation desk.
- Perform opening and closing procedures for the shared service desks and Reserve Room.
- Develop a strong understanding of library circulation and access policies and procedures.
- Identify areas in the bookstacks in need of shifting and help to plan and perform shifts.
- Direct student employees in a variety of stacks maintenance tasks (shelving, shifting, shelf-reading, etc.).
- Coordinates and performs loose-leaf filing; tracks updates to each loose-leaf title and monitors filing accuracy.
- Provide basic troubleshooting for library equipment.
- Answer incoming calls and address patron questions or redirect calls as needed.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Manage interpersonal relationships and interact/communicate with clarity, tact and courtesy with patrons, staff, faculty, students and others.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Identify priorities; recognize and resolve or refer problems.
- Work effectively with supervisor and as a part of a team.
- Flexibility and adaptability in managing tasks to meet changes in procedures, processes, and technology.
- High school diploma required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Related library experience or an equivalent combination of position-related experience and education required.
- Significant related customer service experience within a library, retail, or similar environment required.
- Experience working with a variety of computer systems and applications required.
- Experience with automated library systems preferred.
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- Required: Learn and adapt to a variety of new computer systems and applications required.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
- Proficient using Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Bend, crouch, or stoop.
- Sit or stand in front of a computer for up to 4 hours.
- Shelve and retrieve books and other library materials, including large and over-sized volumes.
- Push a loaded book truck.
- $17.49 – 20.42 hourly
- Cover Letter
- References Contact Information (3)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
To apply for this position submit your profile and required materials to https://uchicago.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Chicago-IL/Access-Services-Assistant—Evenings-and-Weekends_JR19916. Resumes sent via mail, fax, or email will not be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources by calling 773-834-1841 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with their request