In connection with the February business meeting, the Community Service Committee is working with the Greater Chicago Food Depository and the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.
CALL is offering several opportunities to help Chicagoans in need.
- Monetary donations: We will be collecting monetary donations to benefit Chicago Coalition for the Homeless at the February 21 business meeting.
- Food donations: Please bring any nonperishable canned and packaged foods (no glass) that have yet to expire to the business meeting. Most needed items include: Peanut Butter, Canned Beans, Canned Chili, Canned Soup, Canned Fruit & Vegetables, Canned Fish. Additionally, we have set up a Virtual Food Drive, where you can contribute online: http://www.myfooddrive.org/#CALL2019
- Volunteer Day at the Food Depository: CALL members have an opportunity to donate their time during a Repack Session at the Food Depository on Saturday, March 9, 2019 from 1:00 PM to 3:45 PM. The Food Depository is located at 4100 W Ann Lurie Place Chicago, IL 60632. All volunteers need to register with GCFD, which includes an Electronic Waiver.
- Description of volunteer duties: The Greater Chicago Food Depository regularly needs volunteers to help with repacking donated food and other products. The repack session is a great introduction to the Greater Chicago Food Depository, the work we do here, and the need that we see in Cook County. A lot of the food we receive at our warehouse comes in bulk quantities and volunteers are scheduled to help us break it down into more manageable sizes. In a repack session you might be sorting produce, looking over a shipment of bread, or repacking bulk dry goods (cereal, pasta, rice) into smaller quantities. Together, we can properly and efficiently distribute quality food to participating food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters in Cook County.
- Families welcome! The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old and 14-15 years old must be accompanied by an adult chaperone (who must also register).
Parking: The Greater Chicago Food Depository parking lot is open to volunteers during Saturday sessions.