Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg, LLP is a mid-sized Chicago Loop law firm seeking a Research Analyst who will work as part of a team of experts providing research support for the firm. This position will be assigned as an embedded librarian to the Intellectual Property and Corporate & Securities Practice Groups. Research experience in those areas is a plus, but not required. Interested applicants of all experience levels are encouraged to apply. The person chosen for this role will benefit from ample mentorship within the firm and training opportunities on the role’s nuances.
This is a hybrid position. Current firm guidelines require employees to be in the downtown office eight days per month (not a minimum number of days per week).
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct legal, business, due diligence, and technical research of varying degrees of complexity
- Synthesize research to compose and professionally present concise analysis of complex matters, adapting to the practice area and requester’s needs
- Conduct due diligence research as part of the firm’s client intake process
- Manage group alerts, trainings, and advanced projects for each assigned embedded practice area
- Conduct orientation on library resources and services for new attorneys and staff for assigned embedded practices areas
- Attend practice group meetings for assigned embedded practice areas to communicate library resources and services
- Assist Research Manager and Director of Research & Competitive Intelligence with evaluation of potential new research platforms
- Assist Research Manager with documenting research procedures unique to specific research projects within their assigned embedded practice area
- Masters Degree in Library and Information Science
- Experience in a law firm or other research library
- Experience with researching caselaw, news, company information, or public records utilizing databases such as Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, and other specialized legal and business research platforms
- Strong writing skills with the ability to deliver professional, client-ready research memos and reports
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of professionalism
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Experience with managing news, legislative and regulatory, caselaw, and topical alerts
- Strong presentation skills and professional presence
- Intellectual Property research and database experience, such as patent, trademark, copyright searches and investigations
- Experience with Competitive Intelligence or Business Development research at the individual, company, and industry levels utilizing legal and business research databases
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.