Employer Name: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Position Title: Technical Services Librarian
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Salary Range: CL 28 ($73,808 – $119,987)
Closing Date: Priority given to applications received by April 10, 2023. Position open until filled.
The Libraries of the U.S. Courts for the Seventh Circuit include a headquarters library and four branch libraries located in Milwaukee, Madison, South Bend, and Indianapolis. This position is in the headquarters library in Chicago. The incumbent provides specialized support in the areas of library systems, acquisitions, and planning and budget. They also perform administrative duties necessary to the ongoing operations of the U.S. Courts of the Circuit Library. Occasional travel to Seventh Circuit Library locations may be needed. The incumbent may have the opportunity to telework about once a week.
Representative Duties include the following. Other duties or special projects as assigned.
- Responsible for all technical services operations including implementation, application, and maintenance of the online integrated library system (ILS), SirsiDynix.
- Participates in library networks, online discussion groups, and monthly SirsiDynix meetings. Initiates and maintains professional contacts with other librarians, Administration Office staff, and other professionals to provide fullest possible range of technical support to judges and other court staff.
- Communicates with IT staff regarding hardware and software needs of the ILS.
- Participates in local committees and/or on Circuit-wide or national library committees and working groups.
- Handles acquisitions of print and electronic research resources for the library, judges’ chambers and court units.
- Serves as contracting officer (Levels 1 and 2) for the procurement of legal resources in the support of the Circuit-wide library program.
- Serves as contracting officer for the library “law books” purchases.
- Involved in the managing, tracking and maintenance of subscriptions.
- Documents all procedures, processes, customization and configuration changes used in technical services.
- Participates in preparation for audit. Ensures rules and guidance for procurement and library property is followed. Investigates and enacts best practices for library procurement.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with library vendors.
Planning and Budget:
- Actively participates in spending plans and budgets for print and electronic research resources in consultation with the Circuit Librarian.
- Involved in space and facilities planning for library locations in the Circuit.
- Oversees stacks maintenance in the Headquarters Library.
Research and Reference:
- Provides research and reference services to court personnel and other customers.
- Uses both print and electronic research resources.
- Instructs library clientele in the performance of library research methods.
- Responds to customer complaints and concerns, taking appropriate action as necessary.
- M.L.S. Degree or equivalent from ALA-accredited library school.
- Experience working with different modules of an Integrated Library System.
- Minimum of three years of experience that provided an opportunity to acquire a thorough knowledge of the basic concepts, principles, policies, practices, and theories of libraries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong customer service orientation.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Aptitude for performing functions requiring a high degree of accuracy and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to telework when necessary and work an 8-hour day between 8:00am-4:30pm (Mon.-Fri.).
- Experience in a law library setting.
- Experience with budgets.
- Knowledge of legal publications, both print and electronic.
- Experience with copy and original cataloging.
- Ability to handle occasional moderate to heavy listing up to 20 pounds.
Benefits include eleven paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), Thrift Savings Plan (401k), Benefits also include optional participation in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB), Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI), Flexible Benefits Program, and Dental and Vision Insurance. Limited telework options are available. Information can be found on the court’s website under Human Resources at: www.ca7.uscourts.gov.
Consideration will only be given to those individuals who apply through the court’s online applicant tracking system and provide a resume, cover letter, at least three professional references, and salary history.
Priority will be given to applications received by April 10, 2023. Due to the anticipated large response to this announcement, only those interviewed will be notified of the selection outcome. The court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the announcement without written notice to applicants. Travel expenses for interviews cannot be reimbursed.
Please note that this position is covered by the Fair Chance Act and does not require that applicants provide criminal history information prior to receiving any conditional offer of employment. All information provided by applicants is subject to verification and background investigation.
The selected candidate will be subject to an FBI fingerprint check as a condition of employment and may be subject to periodic updates. Applicants are advised that false statements or omission of information on any application materials may be grounds for non-selection, withdrawal of an offer of employment or dismissal after being employed.
Pursuant to the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, selection is contingent upon providing proof of being legally eligible to work in and for the United States. Employees are required to use Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) for payroll deposit.
THIS OFFICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER