Employer Name: Perkins Coie LLP
Position Title: Research Librarian
This position may be filled in the Chicago or Madison, WI offices (and may also be filled in Phoenix; Portland, OR; Denver; Dallas; Austin; or Boise). This position is hybrid but with no required days in office per week. Librarians come into the office as needed.
At Perkins Coie, we look for self-motivated individuals, dedicated to providing value and superior service, and who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We have created a company culture based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion, both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work with one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For and receive great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid sabbaticals.
Perkins Coie LLP has an immediate opening for a Research Services Librarian. This position will provide support for a very busy reference desk. Duties will include research and attorney outreach, as well as evaluation of resources and management of time billing entries. Additional tasks supporting Resource Services or Knowledge Management may be assigned. We operate in a centralized environment to increase consistency and efficiency while providing the same level of excellent service to attorneys and staff in all offices. The Research Librarian must have excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders, including attorneys and firm leadership. The ability to handle multiple complex research projects with minimal supervision, attention to detail, and strong teamwork skills are required.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
Research & Analysis
- Has general knowledge of legal and business research processes and resources. Understands the legal system.
- Performs entry-level research with minimal supervision yet knows when to ask for help. Independently meets deadlines. Identifies and applies the most effective resources. Analyzes information and integrates relevant findings into work products.
- Provides a summary of the research results strategy. Uses an appropriate format to create a response that is targeted, thorough, and grammatically correct.
- Offers expertise and input regarding the selection, use, and implementation of online research services.
Training & Outreach
- Provides training in a variety of settings and using diverse media. May also support direct outreach to attorneys or practice groups.
- Utilizes current and developing technologies to aid in the delivery of information.
- Solicits and incorporates feedback.
Management & Business Acumen
- Formulates personal and professional development goals.
- Understands the needs and preferences of customers.
- Follows firm guidelines on credit card usage and using the appropriate general ledger codes.
- Participates as an active team member of departmental projects as assigned, fulfilling all project requirements.
- This position may require travel.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups.
- Thorough familiarity with legal and non-legal sources of reference information.
- Ability to perform computer-assisted legal research using standard research databases.
- Thorough knowledge of available resources for outside information including courts, government agencies, and trade associations.
- Working knowledge of common office tools, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program, including coursework or significant experience with legal bibliography. A minimum of one year of professional library work experience is preferred.