Employer Name: Nixon Peabody LLP
Position Title: Competitive Intelligence Research Librarian
Job ID: 3908
Open Date: Thursday, September 28, 2023
The Competitive Intelligence Research Librarian is responsible for conducting targeted research and analysis on companies, industries, practice areas, geographic markets, and competitors, using a variety of online research tools to identify emerging issues and trends and prepare insightful and highly actionable intelligence. A hybrid work schedule is available for this position.
A career at Nixon Peabody is the opportunity to do work that matters. It’s the chance to use your knowledge to shape what’s ahead. To share, to innovate, to learn at a firm that taps the power of collective thinking.
We’ve created a dynamic, energizing environment that promotes success for our clients and each other. We offer fast growth, connectedness and training in business as well as law. And our rigorous standards assure you are part of a diverse team of top talent at every turn.
If you’re someone who’s looking toward the future, we’d love to hear from you.
Location: Albany, NY; Boston, MA; Buffalo, NY; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; Manchester, NH; Melville, NY; New York City, NY; Providence, RI; Rochester, NY; San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC
- Develop and conduct company, industry, and other research to support firm wide strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with other team members with respect to larger and more complex assignments.
- Gather, synthesize, and summarize relevant, insightful, well-targeted research about prospects, clients, and industries to attorneys, firm leaders, and marketing staff to facilitate decision making and business planning.
- Monitor industry trends and client news and disseminate alerts and curated newsletters to appropriate groups and individuals.
- Research marketplace trends, competitor activities, and hot topics for business development assessments and marketing events.
- Provide in-depth client research to advance cross-selling and client feedback programs, working closely with marketing staff.
- Conduct highly confidential research for firm leaders to support lateral hiring, firm growth opportunities, and other initiatives.
- Actively liaise and communicate with practice groups and industry teams to develop subject knowledge and form collaborative relationships.
- As part of the Library & Research Services team, collaborate and coordinate with library staff in other locations to provide seamless research service for attorneys across the firm, including evening and weekend coverage on an as needed basis.
- Engage in innovation and Library outreach, including evaluation of new information resources and relevant technology.
- May assist in the delivery of research training programs for attorneys and staff through a variety of formats including in person one-on-one sessions, departmental meetings, and web-enabled training.
- Participate in expanding and/or improving research and information services, procedures, and practices. Take part in special projects as requested by the Director of Library & Research Services.
- Remain current in research techniques and available resources relevant to providing high quality research and information services. Continue professional development through various firm and association sponsored activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential job responsibility listed above, satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. Nixon Peabody retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the skills and abilities required.
- 4-7 years of relevant experience in a corporate, financial, consulting, or legal setting conducting complex research.
- Master of Library Science or Juris Doctor degree required. Work experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- Solid proficiency in the use of both print and online resources.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Independently manages multiple projects and negotiates deadlines if necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior client service.
- Dynamic self-starter with a high level of energy and enthusiasm.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and collaboratively within and across departments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Excellent technology skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Successful candidate will bring energy, creativity, and initiative.
In accordance with applicable Federal and State laws, the anticipated annual salary range for this position, depending on location, is as follows:
- Albany, NY: $74,732 to $108,394
- Boston, MA: $85,408 to $123,879
- Buffalo, NY: $71,173 to $103,232
- Chicago, IL: $81,849 to $118,717
- Long Island, NY: $88,967 to $129,040
- Los Angeles, CA: $85,408 to $123,879
- Manchester, NH: $71,173 to $103,232
- New York, NY: $88,967 to $129,040
- Providence, RI: $78,291 to $113,556
- Rochester, NY: $71,173 to $103,232
- San Francisco, CA: $88,967 to $129,040
- Washington, DC: $85,408 to $123,879
In addition to a standard benefits package, this role may be eligible for additional contingent compensation based on an array of factors, including but not limited to: work performance, geographic location, work experience, education, and qualifications. Because such contingent compensation is not yet calculable or may be zero ($0) in some circumstances, the above-listed salary range(s) are Nixon Peabody’s good faith estimate of the annual salary(ies) it reasonably expects to pay for the position at the time of this posting.
Nixon Peabody LLP is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer: Disability / Female / Gender Identity / Minority / Sexual Orientation / Veteran. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To comply with Federal law, Nixon Peabody participates in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are verified through this electronic system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to confirm their identity and employment eligibility. Please refer to the Notice of E-Verify Participation and the Right to Work posters on the Nixon Peabody Careers page for more information.